“Kerala’s New Vertical Garden Scheme: Growing Sustainable Agriculture from the Ground Up”
The government of Kerala has introduced a new scheme aimed at promoting sustainable farming and gardening practices – the Vertical Garden Scheme. This scheme is part of the Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) and provides assistance to farmers and planters in setting up vertical gardens in their respective locations. The scheme has been launched to promote sustainable agriculture, increase food production and to make gardening a feasible option for those with limited space.
The main objective of the Vertical Garden Scheme is to provide financial assistance to farmers and planters in setting up their vertical gardens. The scheme aims to:
- Support farmers and planters in their efforts to increase food production and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Encourage gardening and farming activities among the urban population who have limited space.
- Provide technical assistance to farmers and planters in setting up and maintaining their vertical gardens.
To be eligible for the Vertical Garden Scheme, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant must be a resident of Kerala.
- The applicant must be a native of the corporation regions of Ernakulam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Trichur, Kozhikode, and Kannur districts.
- The applicant must pay the beneficiary contribution (25% of the total cost) in advance to SHM-Kerala.
The Vertical Garden Scheme provides numerous benefits to farmers and planters, including:
- 75% subsidy on the total cost of the vertical garden structure.
- Seeds, supplies, and plant nutrition will be provided to the beneficiary.
- The structures are equipped with drip irrigation facilities.
- Vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, brinjals, etc can be grown using these structures.
- Easy online application process.
The following documents are required to apply for the Vertical Garden Scheme:
- Aadhaar card
- Domicile certificate
- Space details for setting up the structure
- Bank account details
- Passport size photo
How to Apply
The application process for the Vertical Garden Scheme is simple and can be completed online. Here’s how:
- Visit the official website of SHM-Kerala @www.shm.kerala.gov.in
- Click on the “Apply Now” link for Arka Vertical Garden under the News & Events column.
- Read through the available details and then click on “Apply Now.”
- Register, log in, and fill in the form with the required details.
- Upload the necessary documents in the prescribed format and submit.
- Take a printout of the submitted form for future reference.
The Vertical Garden Scheme is a great initiative taken by the government of Kerala to promote sustainable agriculture and gardening practices. The scheme provides farmers and planters with financial assistance and technical support to set up their vertical gardens. With the easy online application process and numerous benefits, it is a great opportunity for those interested in farming and gardening to make their dream a reality.